Rules Regarding Membership and the CMRS Certification Process
1) You are required to be a member of AMBA to take the CMRS Certification Exam. You are also required to maintain your membership annually to keep your CMRS up to date.
a) You may purchase an AMBA Membership and the CMRS Exam at the same time.
Membership renewal fees are due on an annual basis and must be paid within the memberís renewal period to avoid a $50 late fee. A 10-day grace period for membership renewal payments will be granted. If membership dues are not received within 30 days of renewal date for certified members, membership and credential cancellation will occur. Membership cancellation will occur for non-certified members approximately 30 days after renewal date. Membership dues are non-refundable and non-transferable. Effective July 1, 2010
b) Recommended Materials: CMRS Study Guide, Understanding Health Insure by Jo Ann C. Rowell and Michelle A. Green, ICD-9-CM Coding Book, CPT-4 Coding Book, HCPCS Coding Book, current year.
c) Required Materials: A current year's set of code books (ICD9, CPT4 & HCPCS).
Note: There are no pre-requisites required to take the CMRS Exam. There are no required courses or training, although we do not recommend taking our exam if you have no billing and or coding training.
2) In most instances, exam enrollment will be granted the same day the exam is purchased. Upon membership verification, login information is sent.
a) If exam purchase is made after hours, on weekends, or on Holidays, enrollment will generally be granted on the following business day.
b) Exam access will be sent via email.
3) You will have a 45 day period to complete the exam once you are enrolled.
a) If you do not wish to be enrolled for the exam the same day as the purchase, you must notify AMBA immediately upon ordering the exam. You must complete the exam within one year from the date of payment. Failure to complete the exam within one year will require a new fee to be paid.
b) If you do not notify AMBA immediately, there will be a $10 fee to re-set your enrollment period.
c) If you do not complete the exam in the 45 day time frame, there will be a $50 reactivation fee. If your exam expires on the 15th of May, it is at 12:01 am on the 15th, not pm.
4) Upon completion of the exam, you will be notified immediately if you received a passing or failing score.
a) You must score an 85% or higher overall to receive a passing score on the exam.
b) If you receive a passing score, you will be emailed a congratulatory notice pertaining to your CMRS credentials and obligations. A numbered certification certificate will be mailed to you within a couple of weeks. See CEU section below.
c) If you receive a failing score, you will be eligible for up to 2 free exam re-takes.
d) There will be a 30 day waiting period after each failing score before exam re-take access will be granted. (You should use this time to study!)
5) Upon passing the CMRS Exam, you will receive a congratulatory email. The following will be included in this email:
a) Passing Score
b) CMRS Anniversary Date
1) Your CMRS Anniversary Date will be the date you passed the exam.
c) Notice of listing on AMBA's Certified Member List
d) CEU requirements which must be met every year by your anniversary date, including your membership dues
e) A list of pre-approved CEUs
6) Upon passing the CMRS Exam, you will be mailed a numbered certificate that is suitable for framing.
Requirements for all Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialists (CMRS)
1) You are required to renew your membership to AMBA, annually to keep your CMRS credentials. Fifty percent (50%) of your CEUs must come from AMBA training, local chapters, courses and or annual conference or the pre-approved CEU list.
2) If you are a CMRS and your membership expires, you will lose your CMRS credentials.
a) If you join AMBA on January 1, then your membership will expire one year from that date.
b) If you pass the CMRS Exam on July 1, then your CMRS credentials expire one year from that date, unless proper CEU requirements are met. See Below.
c) Example: If your AMBA membership expiration date is January 1 and your CMRS anniversary date is July 1, and your membership expires, you will have 30 days to renew your membership without losing your CMRS credentials. You will also be obligated to submit the required CEUs by your CMRS anniversary date as listed below.
d) Example: If your AMBA membership expiration date is January 1 and your CMRS anniversary date is July 1, and you do not renew your membership to AMBA within the 30 day time period, You will be required to re-take the CMRS Exam at full price to regain your CMRS credentials, even if you have already fulfilled your CEU requirements for your upcoming July 1 CMRS Anniversary Date. See Below
3) You are required to submit 15 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to AMBA by your CMRS Anniversary Date each year to keep your CMRS credentials.
a) View a list of pre-approved CEUs at http://www.ambanet.net/ceu.pdf
b) Download AMBA's CEU Submission Form at http://www.ambanet.net/amba_CEU_form.htm
c) Upon receiving your 15 CEUs, AMBA will mail you a new CMRS Certificate with your current CMRS Anniversary Date.
4) You may request for non-approved CEUs to be approved by filling out the proper section on the CEU Submission Form.
a) AMBA offers no guarantee that non-approved CEUs will be approved.
b) Non pre-approved CEUs will be given half (1/2) credit on a case by case basis.
5) You must submit all 15 CEUs to AMBA at once with the proper CEU form. Please mail them to AMBA.
a) Example: You may not submit 3 CEUs now and 12 CEUs later.
b) If you submit less than 15 CEUs at once, your submission form will be discarded.
6) If you fail to submit the required 15 CEUs by your CMRS Anniversary Date, you will be given a 30 day extension upon approval from AMBA.
a) To receive the 30 day extension, your membership dues must be current and you must notify AMBA.
7) If you fail to submit the required CEUs by the end of your 30 day extension, you will lose your CMRS credentials.
a) You may regain your CMRS credentials by re-taking and passing the CMRS Exam at full price.
8) There will be a $100 per year credential reinstatement fee if you fail to turn in your CEUs within 31 days of your anniversary date. No exceptions.
9) If at any time you require your CMRS Certificate to be duplicated, there will be a $25 fee.
AMBA reserves the right to update and make changes to the rules and requirements listed above without prior notice.
2465 E. Main
Davis, OK 73030
Phone: (580) 369-2700
Fax: (580) 369-2703